A group of scientists from the Pacific Ocean Rim countries formed the Pacific Ocean Remote Sensing Society in the year 1990, and organized the first International conference, PORSEC-92, to focus attention of the scientific community on the applications of Remote Sensing for Ocean studies. PORSEC graduated to global status and is now recognized as a Prestigious International Society in ocean remote sensing with the name: the International Pan Ocean Remote Sensing Conference Association.
The association in general promotes studies of the oceans and related atmospheric sciences using remote sensing technology through international collaboration with the following scientific priorities:
- The Association promotes study of the oceans and related atmospheric sciences concerned with the Earth’s environmental processes such as the greenhouse effect, the ENSO, ocean hazard, pollution, sea level rise and other climatic variability using Remote Sensing and involving international collaborative programs.
- The PORSEC Association aims to provide better opportunities for scientists, especially from developing countries for learning and applying the state of the art in Ocean Remote Sensing, including space and under water development, information technology, computer science and environmental sciences, through international conferences, training courses and virtual university courses.
- Develop a consensus among scientists on key issues related to satellite technology and Ocean sciences.
- Advocate the importance and applicability of remote sensing technology to the global community.
- Optimize quality of data for calibration and validation purpose.
- Educate the remote sensing user community through advanced training courses
- Promote ocean remote sensing through activities such as conferences, training courses, and working group meetings.
- Improve awareness of the applicability of remote sensing data toward understanding our environment.
- Use such information for addressing various issues of regional and global concern.
- Popularize ocean remote sensing by publishing proceedings, books and on-line newsletters.
See past PORSECs
The PORSEC Association has also organized a number of very successful conferences/symposium and training course and promoted publications